Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Home Alone

Dear Scarlett,
Yesterday Dad went on his first business trip since you were born. It was only for one night, but it meant you got to sleep in bed with me. It's not that Dad objects to sleeping with you when he's here. It's just that he values actual sleep and it's true that sometimes in the night you sound like you're auditioning for the role of Piglet #3 in the musical version of Animal Farm. You were mostly quiet last night, though, and you slept from 10:30pm-5am. Thank you for that.

Aunt Lizzie came over last night and brought a big pot of delicious vegetable soup and crusty bread. We ate while you sat in your bouncy seat, something that has become a bit of a meal ritual. I'm glad you like the chair--it's nice to be able to sit down and eat. It's a new thing for me, however, to have every breakfast, lunch and dinner punctuated by the sweet instrumental stylings of Pop Goes the Weasel. I've had that song in my head for days.

Before we went to sleep, I lined both sides of the bed with pillows so you wouldn't fall out, even though you don't roll over yet. Also, as far as I can recall, I've never fallen out of the bed, so I don't really know why I lined my side with pillows.

You're 7 weeks old now and we've been getting out of the house at least once a day. This means we see a lot of people and most of them tell me how cute you are, though some are a little harder to impress. Today we were outside talking to Dylan, our 3-year-old neighbor. I told him we were going inside and would probably take a nap. He wanted to know where you were. I pointed to you, in your Moby Wrap on my chest with just your head and one arm poking out, and said "She's right here." "That thing?!" he asked.

You're smiling and making lots of noise these days. You love to be sung to and read to. I sing mostly nursery rhymes and songs Nonnie taught me, but the other day I heard Dad singing Time of The Season by The Zombies while changing your diaper. ("What's your name? Who's your daddy?")

Your favorite book is Little Gorilla. We have read many books, and this is the only one that you actually look at, almost every time. You can hold your head up when you're lying on your tummy, which earned us a few "wow"s yesterday at the weekly mothers group we go to. You are more than 10 lbs now and definitely very strong.

Right now you're in your Moby Wrap, sleeping on me. You're going to need to eat soon, but I hope you stay asleep a little bit longer so I can just look at you. You are a cute little thing.



Love,
Mom