Monday, September 19, 2011

A Proposal

Dear Scarlett,
Dad and I have been married for 3 years today. Last year on our anniversary, I told you about how we met, so this year, I thought I would tell you about how Dad proposed to me.

Let me back up slightly to say that in 2007 we went to something like 7 weddings. The majority were in New York, but there was one in Boston, so we packed our car and drove up a day early to see our friends George, Donna, Lael and Avery who live in Sherburne, MA. I believe we were still in New York, but way too far from home to turn back, when Dad realized he had forgotten his suit. This was a big problem, as it is generally frowned upon to wear jeans and a hoodie to a wedding, even if the hoodie is a very nice hoodie made of some extremely soft material. Have I mentioned that your Dad is more interested in clothing than I am?

Anyway, Dad could maybe have borrowed a suit from George, but there were some sizing issues, so he went to an Ermengildo Zegna store in Boston and bought a new suit, which he was not super happy about. We had a great time at the wedding and our summer continued. On August 17, we were headed to another wedding in Chicago. I came home from work to find Dad lying on his back across the bed. He looked like he was deep in thought, or just exhausted. I had already packed and our car was waiting downstairs, but I was reluctant to have a repeat of the Boston situation, so I started listing everything I would need for the wedding, to make sure I had packed it. "Ok, I have my dress, my shoes, my earrings, my purse (etc)....what else do I need for the wedding?"

"How about this for the wedding?" Dad said, popping out of our bedroom with a box in his hand. In that box was a ring, and that ring is still one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. An emerald cut, solitaire diamond on a platinum band, all words that I never knew meant anything to me until the ring was displayed in front of me, being offered. Dad didn't actually say any other words, of the "will you marry me?" variety, but I got the point. I put the ring on, we jumped in the car and went to the airport. I stared at it the whole time. We called no one. We were going to be staying at Nonnie and Pops' house that night and we wanted to surprise them with our news when we arrived.

Except we didn't arrive. After hours of delays at the airport, and one rather disgusting dinner of chicken tenders, our flight was cancelled and we were forced to return home. Instead of seeing the family, and going to our friends Dan and Pui's wedding, we had a small party on our roof with New York friends, bottles of champagne and much oohing and aahing over my ring. Which just goes to show that Dad and I can celebrate anywhere, at any time. As long as there's champagne.

We're spending this weekend in Napa to celebrate our three years together, and you are staying home with Nonnie. I think this anniversary will be a wonderful one for all of us, and I am so lucky to have your amazing Dad in my life. We've been together for six years, married for three, and we have a beautiful daughter. What more could anyone ask for? Champagne, I guess.

We love you,
Mom