Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My Girl

Dear Scarlett,
At the beginning of this year, I resolved to write you two letters a month. I think by this measure I'm not totally failing, but I do worry that it's not often enough to track all of your hilarious doings and sayings. You make me laugh every day. You also make me crazy every day. I probably deserve it. I don't think I was a particularly easy child.

But in many ways you are an easy child. You are cuddly, and quick to be soothed. You barely ever cry, unless you are fake crying and you get yourself worked up into a real cry. You only need band-aids for aesthetic purposes (this is not to say you don't have bumps and bruises, just that you don't care about them.) Lately, you even let me wear my hair up on occasion. Especially in the kitchen, where we've been discussing hygiene. "We don't want to get food in the hair," you'll say. Close enough.

We have been playing around with different voices. "I want a chocolate cookie," you'll sing in a falsetto. Then you'll say the same thing in your "low voice," which sounds exactly like the creepy kid from The Shining. Red Rum. Look it up.

I've signed you up for tumbling this summer, and you, Dad and I are going to take an Italian class together in July. We're trying to get you ready for your Italian immersion preschool, which starts in August. I think the Italian will likely come in handy more than the tumbling, but you never know. Being able to tuck and roll is a good skill to have when you're trying to steal someone else's snack. Please don't get kicked out of preschool.

You are infatuated with balloons. Nothing makes you happier. "I need a balloon right now, please!" you have been known to yell from your crib. Today we went to get you three new balloons, because we've been talking about doing it for days. When I told you we were going, your entire body started twitching. "Are you excited?" I asked. "YES!" you screamed. You picked three Mylar balloons. Elmo, an orange star, and a ladybug. You named the star Twinkle Twinkle and the ladybug Tigger. When we got home, Twinkle Twinkle made an escape attempt and actually got a block away before getting tangled in a bush, where we captured it. I ran back to our car, yelling "I got Twinkle Twinkle!" Then we high-fived.

 I think we can do anything.

 Love, Mom