Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Quotes

Dear Scarlett,
I love how much you love books. Even as a tiny baby, you had clear preferences, as evidenced by the way your eyes followed certain stories, and even certain pages within those stories. As you got older, you would crawl over to the shelf to grab your favorites and bring them back to me.

I've known for a while how books have helped shape your language acquisition, but it never fails to amuse me. Here are some of the ways that you have inserted your books and characters into our daily life.

-----------------

Dad was working late one night, and we thought you wouldn't see him until morning. But I was putting you to bed when we heard his key in the door.

You popped straight up, and said "Is it possible?? Have my dreams come true?" [The Pigeon Wants a Puppy by Mo Willems]

-----------------

The other day I told you that you were beautiful.

"No, I'm not," you argued.

"Yes, you are," I replied.

"No, I'm not," you said.

"Why not?" I asked.

"Because I have knobbly knees and turned-out toes." [The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson]

-----------------

You were getting dressed. "What are you going to wear?" I asked.

"You must not look at me," you announced. [Frog and Toad are Friends by Arnold Lobel]

-----------------

For no reason at all:

"Hey you, want to fight?" [The Grouchy Ladybug by Eric Carle. Thanks a lot, Eric Carle.]

"Tormented a little mouse!" [Bad Kitty by Nick Bruel]

"For pete's sake, give her some carrots!!" [Diary of a Wombat by Jackie French]

-----------------

There's more, of course. I feel like half the stuff that comes out of your mouth is from a book. And that's not a bad way to live your life. 

Love,
Mom